The Bloodless Medicine and Surgery program at NewYork-Presbyterian/Lawrence Hospital
is committed to providing alternatives to blood transfusion and blood products.
Today, many patients are requesting blood alternatives because of religious beliefs, health concerns or in anticipation of possible complications. At Lawrence, we are dedicated to treating and caring for every patient as a unique individual and respecting each patient's personal choice.
The following solutions, technology and state-of-the-art equipment are utilized in the Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Program:
Cell Saver: continually cleans and recirculates the patient's own blood
- Aquamantys: effectively stops bleeding by sealing the soft tissue and bone
during or after surgery.
- Hemodilution: dilution of the patient's blood with non-blood volume expanders, within a closed circuit attached to patients
- Ultrasonic Scalpel, Lasers and Electrocautery: devices used to
reduce blood loss during surgery.
- Oximetry: tracks oxygen levels during and after surgery.
- Erythropoietin: stimulates bone marrow to produce red blood cells.
- Volume Expanders: intravenous fluids that enhance the circulation of
your own blood.
For more information about the Bloodless Medicine and Surgery program or for a referral to one of its participating physicians, call 914-787-5377.