Pain Rating Scale
You are the expert about how you are feeling. Be sure to tell your doctor or nurse when you have any kind of pain. To help describe your pain, be sure to report:
- When the pain began.
- Where you feel pain.
- How the pain feels—sharp, dull, throbbing, burning, tingling.
- If the pain is constant, or if it comes and goes.
- What, if anything, makes the pain feel better.
- What, if anything, makes the pain feel worse.
- How much, if any, pain your medicine is taking away.
- If your medicine helps with the pain, how many hours of relief do you get?
Use the Pain Rating Scale to tell your doctor or nurse how severe your pain is.